Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Lunar Eclipse 2008........

For those that aren't aware, tonight will mark the last Lunar Eclipse until 2010. Here is my first shot of the moon from about 15 minutes ago. I'm going to attempt to create a lunar eclipse trail as it reaches the different stages and crosses the sky..... check back later to check it out (hopefully anyway :)

P.S. It's gonna be a cold night!


Matt Ramos Photography

1 Hour later...... I don't think I can stand out in the cold anymore, but here is my compilation of the various stages of the lunar eclipse. This was my first time photographing something like this (it's not like you get a lot of opportunities to practice your lunar eclipse shooting), so I'm fairly pleased with how it came out. I obviously stiched these together a bit so you can see it's trail of transition lasting over about an hour's time or so. I'm sure I could have made this even cooler looking if I'd stuck it out a bit longer, but I'ts f-f-f-freeeeeeeeeeeezing!!

P.S. I shot with a 400mm lens with a 2X extender giving me 800mm and then cropped. Originals were shot at 21 Megapixels. Whatdya think??

Matt Ramos Photography

Matt Ramos Photography

4 comments:

tomeloph said...

I live in San Jose, CA and while the lunar eclipse was intercepted by clouds and rain, luckily I'd shot my first lunar eclipse previously in August. The images were shot with my Canon 10D at 300mm, various exposure times... i was up all night! 6 hours and about 1000 photos. I've posted some of the best via the link.

http://www.eloph.com/dev/events.asp

Canon 10D, 300mm, f/5.6, ISO 1600, ~2 sec

Tom

Matt Ramos said...

Thanks for sharing, Tom..... some excellent shots. I'm a huge fan of the streaks you were able to catpure of the plane going by. I saw that too and wanted to shoot it, but already had my tripod set up and was way too far zoomed in. In hindsight, I wish I threw a different lens on to get that too. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these, Matt! Tom and I missed the lunar eclipse last night. Now we got to see it without freezing our butts off. What would we do without you? :-)

Matt Ramos said...

Hey now.... I'm here to please! :)